Farmington, Maine – UMaine Farmington fell to Maine Maritime on Thursday night in Dearborn Gymnasium by a score of 68-41 in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) action.
The Beavers fell to 4-19 overall and 4-13 in conference play while the Mariners move to 13-11 overall and 9-8 in the NAC.
IN THE BOX
- Kennadi Grover finished with game high 13 points on 6-12 shooting and 1-5 at the free throw line while notching five rebounds.
- Jenessa Talarico finished with eight points on 3-5 shooting, 2-4 from three-point land to go with two rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- The Beavers shot 28 percent from the floor, 18.8 percent from three and 58.8 percent at the charity stripe. UMF notched 26 rebounds, eight assists and 10 steals.
- Alayne Felix scored 11 points for the Mariners on 5-10 shooting with five rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Chloe Smedley finished with a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds on 5-13 shooting.
- The Mariners shot 41.2 percent from the floor, 29.2 percent from three and 41.7 percent at the free throw line. Maine Maritime notched 53 rebounds, 15 assists, eight steals and three blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Mariners jumped out to an early 7-2 lead after Caitlin Kane hit a layup. Kennadi Grover got on the board with a free throw which made the score 9-3. Neither team could find the iron for the next three minutes until Alayne Felix hit a layup with two minutes left. The Beavers battled back to pull within six after Sara Lamb hit two free throws.
The second quarter opened up with Jenessa Telarico hitting a three followed by Abby Hasson hitting a layup to make the score 15-12. Abby Hasson then hit another layup after Chloe Smedley hit one of her own to make the score 17-15.
The Mariners started to run away with the quarter after Emily Melick hit a three followed by Melinda Ogden hitting a three to make the score 28-18. Ogden hit another three a few minutes later as the Mariners finished off the quarter with a 31-18 lead.
The Beavers opened up the second half with a 14-3 run to pull within two with five minutes to go in the quarter. Megan Mclean hit a three point shot which started a run for the Mariners. The Mariners went on to score 11 unanswered to pull away with a 44-32 lead.
UMF closed the quarter with a layup from Grover but the Mariners pulled away with a 56-37 lead.
Neither team scored in the fourth quarter until the seven-minute mark when Amanda Holewiak hit a layup. The Beavers scored four points in the quarter as the Mariners ran away with a 68-41 victory.