FARMINGTON, MAINE – UMaine Farmington fell to New England College (NEC) on senior day in Dearborn Gymnasium by a final score of 63-60 on Saturday afternoon in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) action.
UMF is now 4-18 overall and 4-12 in conference play while the Pilgrims of New England College move to 18-6 overall and 12-5 in NAC action.
IN THE BOX
- Abby Hasson finished with game high 17 points on 5-8 shooting from the field, 7-8 at the free throw line while added six rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Haley Felkel also added 10 points off the bench on 4-9 shooting and 2-4 from three-point land.
- UMF shot 41.2 percent from the floor, 18.2 percent from three-point land and 72.7 percent at the free throw line. The team notched 33 rebounds, three assists and eight steals.
- Utshana Durham held the top spot for the Pilgrims with 15 points on 6-11 shooting while tallying nine rebounds and two assists.
- Marjani Lillard and Rene Hudson each added 12 points on 9-23 shooting from the field and 3-9 from behind the arc.
- The Pilgrims shot 38.1 percent from the floor, 28.6 percent from deep and 75 percent at the free throw line. NEC tallied 41 rebounds, eight assists and two blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Courtney Alofs got the Beavers on the board first with back to back free throws followed by Kennadi Grover jumper to give the Beavers a quick 4-0 lead. Utshana Durham got the Pilgrims on the board first for the Pilgrims with a layup.
Durham gave the Pilgrims their first lead of the game at the six-minute mark with a jumper to make the score 7-6. Morgan Crocker got on the board just under two minutes with a layup to pull the Beavers within three.
Ren Hudson hit a three at the buzzer to put the Pilgrims up 16-11 at the end of the first quarter.
Tanner Favreau opened up the second quarter with a quick jumper to push the Pilgrim's lead to six. Morgan Crocker hit converted on a three-point play to pull the Beavers within four in the early going of the second quarter.
Rene Hudson grabbed an offensive rebound and then hit a three which started a quick 8-0 run for the Pilgrims and make the score 26-16. Abby Hasson broke the run with a jumper to make the score 26-16.
With about two minutes left in the first half, Morgan Crocker hit a layup to pull within 13 after a short run from the Pilgrims.
The Beavers outscored the Pilgrim's 21-14 in the third quarter due to zero turnovers by UMF in that time span. Grover got the Beavers on the board first with a jumper followed by Marjani Lillard jumper which made the score 40-26.
UMF went on a 9-3 run after to pull within eight. Felkel hit two back to back jumpers to pull within six but Durham hit a jumper of her own. Hasson converted on a three-point play to pull within five with just under two minutes to go in the third.
Lillard hit a jumper with four seconds left to push the Pilgrims lead to seven going into the fourth.
The fourth was mostly back and forth action be each team. The Beavers pulled within two with one minute left after a Felkel three which made the score 62-60. Hudson Rene made one free throw to make it 63-60. The Beavers had one last look after a few time outs but Jenessa Talarico came up just short as the ball rolled around the rim and fell out to the left.
The Pilgrims escaped a heart breaking loss with a 63-60 victory.
UMF will host Maine Maritime with tip-off set for 7:30 PM.