SALEM, Mass - UMaine-Farmington dropped its fourth straight game to open the 2019 season to Salem State 3-1. UMF surrendered three first-half goals and then dominated play in the second-half but could only come up with a single goal. The loss drops the Beavers to 0-4 and with the win the Vikings improve to 2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Casie Curtin scored off an Allison Couillard pass in the 10th minute to give Salem State a 1-0 lead.
- Melanie Mason and Mikayla Mason set up the next Vikings' goal with a give and go as Melanie Mason found a wide-open Jullian Danton for the second goal.
- Curtin scored again before the half, sending Salem St. to halftime leading 3-0
- Sophomore Chloe Horn scored unassisted for UMF to cut into the lead.
INSIDE THE BOX
- UMF outshot Salem State 12 to 8 and also had more penalty corners 12 to 7
- Vikings' goalie Kellie McCarthy made nine saves on ten shots to earn the win
- Katelyn Rouleau saved two on five shots to be tabbed with the loss
- Junior Kasey Talarico led UMF with four shots on goal.
- Junior Alex Bessey, first-year classmates Olivia Kunesh, and Emily Tolman added two shots on goal.
UMF will play its fifth straight road game, traveling to Wellesley on Saturday, September 14th for a 12:30 pm start.