NORTHAMPTON, MA - UMaine-Farmington field hockey surrendered a late goal to Westfield St to drop the consolation game at the Smith College Caryl Newhof Classic. UMF battled back to tie the game twice but saw Westfield State charge down the field and score the game-winner with 9.4 seconds left. The loss drops the Beavers record to 0-2 on the season. Junior Alex Bessey was named to the All-Tournament team.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Shannon Roycroft scored the Owls first goal at 7:40 of the 1st quarter.
- Alex Bessey scored to tie the game in the 2nd quarter off a pass from Abby Pomerleau on a penalty corner.
- Charyl Latona put the Owls back in front, scoring unassisted early in the 4th quarter.
- Bessey and Pomerleau hooked up again seven minutes later on a penalty corner to tie the game with under five minutes remaining.
- Allie Giguere scored the game-winner unassisted in the closing seconds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Westfield St. outshot UMF 12-9, both teams had seven penalty corners
- First-year goalie Katelyn Rouleau (0-1) recorded four saves on seven shots for UMF.
- Owl's goalie Riley Goulet (1-1) had five saves on seven shots.
- Kasey Talarico and Bessey lead the Beavers with three shots on goal each
- Giguere (4), Roycroft (3), and Latona (3) lead the Owls.
UMF will travel to Southern Maine on Wednesday to face the Huskies. Game time is set for 6:00 pm.