Farmington, Maine – UMaine Farmington took control of the second half tonight in a 83-71 victory over Maine Maritime in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) action in Dearborn Gymnasium.
The Beavers move to 11-13 overall and 10-7 in NAC play while the Mariners fell to 5-19 overall and 2-15 in conference action.
IN THE BOX
- Issac Witham scored team high with 20 points on 7-13 shooting from the floor, 6-9 from three with three assists.
- Amir Moss scored 18 points on 6-12 shooting, 6-9 at the free throw line with seven rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Riley Robinson and Tyus Ripley combined for 23 points on 9-14 shooting and 3-4 at the free throw line while adding 13 rebounds, seven assists and three steals.
- Ryan Camire finished with 14 points off the bench on 5-7 shooting and shot lights out from three-point land on 4-6 from the field.
- The Beavers shot 52.6 percent from the floor and 52.2 percent from three while shooting 61.1 percent at the charity stripe. UMF tallied 33 rebounds, 20 assists, 10 steals and four rebounds while only committing 11 turnovers.
- Tyler Thayer finished with game high 24 points on 9-15 shooting and 5-11 at the free throw line.
- Nick Judge picked it up in the second half to finish with 17 on 5-9 shooting, 3-5 from behind the arc and 4-4 at the free throw line to go along with seven rebounds and two steals.
- The Mariners shot 39.7 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from three-point land and 57.1 percent at the free throw line. Maine Maritime notched 37 rebounds, nine assists and seven steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Beavers opened up the game with two quick threes' from Issac Witham. The Mariners came right back and tied the game at six when Tyler Thayer made a layup. UMF jumped out to a 14-8 lead after Amir Moss hit a layup with just under 12 minutes to go in the first half. The Beavers then jumped out to a 12-point lead when senior Ryan Camire added a spark to the offense when he came in off the bench and hit three straight threes which made the score 25-13.
The Mariners battled back and took the lead at the half with the score at 36-35 after Brendan Newcomb hit a three at the buzzer.
Issac Witham started the second half the same way he started the first with a quick three that gave the Beavers a 40-38 lead. UMF went on a 12-2 run in the first five minutes to push their lead to nine with 15 minutes to go.
The Mariners battled back once again and pulled with three when Adam Richardson made a layup but Tyus Ripley came right back down the floor and hit a layup of his own. Maine Maritime pulled within one when Nick Judge hit another three which made the score 59-58. Senior Ryan Camire hit another three 20 seconds later which started another run for the Beavers.
UMF pulled away and finished the game with a 83-71 victory.