FARMINGTON, MAINE - UMaine Farmington picks up their ninth conference win on senior day with a score of 70-68 on Saturday afternoon against New England College (NEC) in Dearborn Gymnasium for a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) showdown.
The Beavers move to 10-13 overall and 9-7 in conference play while the Pilgrims fall to 11-13 overall and 6-11 in the NAC.
IN THE BOX
- Riley Robinson led the Beavers with 17 points on 5-10 shooting and 7-9 at the charity stripe, tallied five rebounds and two steals.
- Issac Witham added 13 points on 6-12 shooting with four rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Senior Jimmie Chaisson added 11 points on 3-8 shooting from the floor, notched eight rebounds, one assist and two steals.
- UMF shot 38.7 percent from the floor, 21.4 percent from three and 65.5 percent at the free throw line. Tallied 38 rebounds, eight assists, 10 steals and forced 23 turnovers.
- Ricky Leonard led all scores with 19 on 5-15 shooting, 4-8 from deep and 5-7 at the free throw line.
- I. Winston-Brooks finished with 11 points for the Pilgrims on 4-10 shooting with three free throws while Jason Jones tallied 19 rebounds and four blocks.
- The Pilgrims shot 40 percent from the floor on 24-60 shooting, 29 percent from three-point land and 78.6 percent at the charity stripe. Notched 47 rebounds, seven assists, four steals and five blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Pilgrims got on the board first with back-to-back jump shots from Jason Jones and Jack Hostetler to go up 4-0 early. Senior Ryan Rice got the Beavers on the board first with a layup followed by an Issac Witham jumper.
UMF went on a 12-0 run to go up 12-4 after senior Ryan Camire hit a three pointer but NEC battled back to tie the game at 13 when Justin Eck hit a layup and converted the three-point play.
UMF went on another 5-0 run to push their lead to seven but Ricky Leonard hit a three to cut into the lead and start a run for the Pilgrims. NEC went on a 12-2 run to close out the half and hold a 27-25 lead.
NEC opened the second half with a quick four points and a lead of four but Tyus Ripley hit a layup to tie the game at 31. The Pilgrims regained the lead and never looked back as Jason Jones hit a layup to make the score 37-34.
Robinson hit a layup two minutes later right after a Ricky Leonard three to cut NEC's lead to four with just under 15 minutes to go.
The Beavers got the crowd back into the game when Ryan Camire hit another big three, which gave UMF the lead, 45-44.
NEC battled back to pull within one when Jack Hostetler hit a three of his own followed by an I. Winston-Brooks jumper, which put NEC on top 53-52. Robinson and Witham each hit their shots, which put UMF back on top 56-53, but Hostetler hit another three, which tied the game back up at 56.
The Beavers will host Maine Maritime on Wednesday with tip-off set for 5:30 PM.